Lindner Piano ??? -Reply Three

Thu, 03 Jul 1997 06:36:49 -0700

rmartin21@juno.com wrote:

> Delwin
>
> I remember vividly one of our grands that sat UPRIGHT against the wall
> like an upright. Very ornate decor as well.
>
> Is this the one you are referring to?
>
> Ralph Martin

Ralph,

No, they actually did build the grand that I described earlier.

You may be thinking of the Maestro (spelling??? its been a long time,
remember?). This was a vertical piano in a cabinet whose shape somewhat
resembled that of a harp, even to sitting on a small base that was
shaped to resemble the base of the harp. It was 52" plus tall on the
bass end and somewhere in the mid fourties at the treble. Below the
keybed on the treble end it was undercut somewhat. The bass side slanted
in slightly, again aesthetically similar to the harp. Like the grand,
the appearance was very striking.

This piano also was basically straight-strung, that is, it was not
overstrung. I saw one open only briefly, so I can't really describe its
structural design.

I'd also enjoy the opportunity to see one of these again.

ddf

(PS [Is "PS" still appropriate with email?] Rippen also built a somewhat
smaller version of this piano that was over-strung. There was less point
to the design. With the above piano, form followed function and the
aethetics all flowed together. I didn't think the smaller piano looked
nearly as balanced.)