Subj: Different agraffes

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:54:25 -0800 (PST)

Dear Ed and List,

Your description of your parents' Hallet and Davis upright reminded me
of a similar piano which was in my shop for rebuilding five or six years
ago. The one I worked on dated from 1865, had the unusual agraffes on the
bridge, and had been strung originally with brass plated steel music
wire. It also was constructed, characteristically for the time, with a
3/4 plate and exposed pinblock (like any great piano oughta have). It
was really well preserved for it's age, and sounded sweet after
restringing and new hammers.

                                                        My brother has a
Sohmer grand from the 1920's with agraffes on the bridge. These pianos
have been widely scorned, but his sounds great. There is a real purity
of tone and freedom from false beats, except in the high treble section
where normal bridge notching and pinning was employed.

  Steve Schell

stfrsc@juno.com