Grand wippen spring

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:21:52 -0500

Jim Coleman Sr. Wrote:

>The mystery is:  How did the spring get out of the silk cord loop?  I saw
>no evidence of a foreign object having been involved.

>Any ideas as to how the spring had popped out?

>I found one other at note 88 which was disconnected.  I can't figure.
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:19:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jim,

This may not be the problem in this case, but just a warning about support
springs.
The Steinway voicing blocks that fit down in between the back check and the
wip flange should not be used in wippen support spring actions because the
block tends to push against the springs and disengage them.  Use the type of
voicing block that is tapered narrow on the bottom for this application.

You also have to watch out for those pesky little support spring gremlins.
They get a kick out of causing all manner of annoyance.

Knowledge leads to all manner of cures.

David C. Stanwood