CYA - finale

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:13:58 -0500 (EST)

Newton's situation has got me (and apparently most of us) thinking about
university situations in general.

The following does NOT apply to Newton's situation. But since this is a
college and university tech forum (in principle), there's a subject I
think is worth mentioning: the fine art of (humble) self-promotion.

If your situation is like mine, I get little feedback about good work that
I do at the college. I get INSTANT response when something isn't right. I
noticed when I came here that everybody spoke about the recently deceased
previous technician as though he was a member of the family. NOBODY talks
about what a good tuner he was. From what I can tell, his work was
adequate but maybe not even up to the general level of this list. But
everybody still worships him.

He made a point of knowing everybody, students, faculty, community people.
He contacted them personally about recital needs. He attended recitals
(which I often skip -- after a while, I just don't want to hear sounds)
and other events. And he left a lasting legacy of good feelings.

He collapsed tuning a harpsichord (hall of fame way to go). When I was
called to replace him, it became clear that it would be hard to fill the
gap he left. But I tried to build personal relationships with the faculty,
learn as many names of students as possible, and one more thing. He used
his door as a communications base. So I try to do the same. I post
interesting piano-related articles, including unusual pictures from the
PTG Journal. I list what work I've accomplished recently, especially
during breaks when nobody knows what I've done. I post a list of my
work priorities for the week or month or quarter. And I cross off what
gets done. When there are concerns, I put something on my door to the
effect that I'm aware of the situation, I'm working on it, and I would
value input (almost every pianist has opinions as to what pianos should
sound like and feel like, and at least get it off their chest). I also
have a sheet for people to leave me requests for service, and I try to
take care of them within one week, sooner if possible (I should mention
I'm here 20 hrs/week). I also do some accompanying, which is enjoyable for
me, helps me know the students and faculty, and most importantly, keeps me
aware of what pianos are a pleasure to play and which ones you have to
fight. The main goal I use the door for is to call their attention to the
fact that I'm busting my tail to make the place a good home for music. It
works. I'll often open the door to come out of the office and almost bump
into one or two people standing there reading the articles, which get
changed every week or so.

Maybe it shouldn't have to be this way, but if you're doing a good job, it
doesn't hurt to at least subtly let people know. Fall quarter, I fell
behind, because we had a few piano crises which sucked up all my work time
and took me away from the regular maintenance tunings. There were some
pretty irritated freshman, who of course didn't know me. I was astounded
and gratified to find out that the upper-classmen in general told them,
look, he's doing the best he can, and the college limits him to 20 hours a
week for 100 pianos. Thankfully this quarter I'm mostly caught up -- which
means, I'm only way behind instead of way, way behind.

There are a lot of "cons" to college work. There are also some real
rewards, most of which are not monetary. Newton ran into a strange
situation beyond his control. Those of us still working in college
situations can't take them for granted. Go on the offensive! If you're
doing a good job, make sure people know. Keep a copy of every accolade and
thank-you that comes your way, and not just to prove your competency to an
administrator who may doubt it -- it also helps YOU remember what you've
contributed on those days when you feel like you're not worth much. Or am
I the only one who has those?

Sorry to go on forever.
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music