Subj:Re:Subj: Different agraffes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:34:26 -0500 (EST)

 Greetings all;
I earlier wrote;
>     My parents have an 1870 Hallet&Davis upright with these sort of
agraffes
>on the bridge.  each one is turned oppositely, so that every other note has
>its strings pulled up or down.  the Soundboard is totally flat, as all the
>opposing forces on the bridge make it all quite rigid.  And it works!

and Keith asked;

>>That must be something to see...all those unlevel sets of strings.  Or,
>>wait a moment, are the agraffes themselves offset in height?

No, all the entry holes, facing the speaking length, are on the same plane.
 However, the exit holes are alternately above and below the entry holes,
(not within one agraffe, )   These are two differently drilled agraffes that
alternate.  And yes, the backstrings are quite unlevel, but the cumulative
effect is a very rigid bridge.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works