Where to get Wurlitzer Silicon

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:28:36 -0500 (EST)

<< I suggest never getting silicone within ten miles of a piano.  There are
more
 effective and SAFE center pin lubricants available.

 Get Proteck, it works , is safe for pianos and humans and is designed for
 pianos.

 Silicone is NOT a lubricant.  It is a strain reliever.  It is also like BBs.
 Dop a few and they are all over the place.  Silicone will relieve the strain
 between capo bar and strings, between tuning pins and block and will lift
any
 keytop that has a strained glue joint.

 	Newton
 	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu >>

Newton,

While I greatly respect your opinion, my experience with the use of silicone,
on piano actions over the last 20 years, has not shown any of the problems
that you mentioned.  While any lubricant can be misused, proper use in the
right situation has proven to be very effective.  In the mid 70's, Lew Herwig
at Wurlitzer developed the process of using di-methyl silicone in a naphtha
carrier to treat the "tight center" problem that was literally freezing up
their actions.  In this case, as well as on Baldwin/Pratt-Read (Pratt-Win)
actions, it really does the job.  We now often use Protek for a many
applications, but still keep the other stuff around in case we need it.  On
newer instruments, I find that repinning is often a more permanent solution
to the problem at hand, if economic factors allow.  Having worked on actions
treated with this solution, I have found no problem with rebushing,
repinning, glue joints, etc.  In fact, an added by product is the reduction
of squeaks and noise in such areas as keybushings, damper guide rails and
such.

As I said, I respect your opinion, which is in agreement with a number of
other highly respected technicians,  and wonder if maybe we should set up a
research project to quantifiably measure the effects and side effects of not
only silicone, but also Protek, teflon powder, graphite and many of the other
"things" that we apply and have applied over the years.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College