Upright pressure bar

Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:13:05 -0800

Dave,

At 01:36 PM 1/28/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I am restringing an old Kimball upright and have a couple
>questions.

My condolences.

>#1...When I restring I will remove the tenor/treble pressure bar
>for ease of stringing.  I imagine I will just take measurements
>along the bar and return it to the same height and pressure.  Is this
>correct?

If they had been that careful in original manufacture, it might make a real
difference.  There will probably be other opinions, but I would certainly
follow your plan for a start, being ready to make changes if things require
more/less termination.

I think that I would be more concerned about the condition of the wood into
which the screws holding the bar go.  Whether it's the pinblock or not,
that wood may need drilling, plugging and redrilling in order to have
structural integrity.  If you've used Falconwood (or similar) plugs in
pinblock repair, it's a walk in the park.

>#2...The piano has 00 pins!  I will be putting in 2's.  The
>tuning pin area has this dimpled brass? sheet over it and my
>2's just barely fit in the holes.  Would I have to drill the
>plate holes bigger if I was using a bigger pin?

Assuming that your drill press doesn't have too much chatter, you can mount
the sheets to some kind of hardwood backing and drill the holes out.  The
answer to if you have to depends.  It always seems to me to be a judgment
call.

>I will not be able to rescale this piano because of time
>constraints.  Darn!

I've heard an awful lot of rescaling that was clearly not an improvement.
Just a thought...

>Thanks in advance...

Most welcome.  Good to see you on the list.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley

"I believe I'd go with the pliers."  -  Bill Brandom

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062
LiNCS help line: 415.725.4627