Because they asked me!

Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:01:00 -0800

Andre,

Thank you very much for your considered and thoughtful reply.

I think that one of the real advantages of the (constructive) use of the
Internet (in any profession) is that it gives us each the opportunity to
learn from each other.  No one individual or group has "THE" right answer.
This is particularly true when one is dealing with something like a piano,
which defies the laws of physics - well, maybe it's just really, really
complicated.

>Horace and other colleagues, I think I could not tell you more about this
matter.....If there is someone there who feels insulted by my sincere
opinion, than I apologize, but I should be able to be honest, don't I?

Throughout recorded history (and, therefore, by extension, before history
was recorded), people have persecuted other people for, among other things,
expressing their opinions openly and honestly.  Socrates comes to mind.  It
is always dangerous to challenge anyone's thinking - whether our own or
another's; one never quite knows where it will lead.

On the other hand, we each have a responsibility to ourselves to question
established authority.  If this is done from the context of reasonable
minds being able to disagree, then everyone benefits.  The person or group
in "authority" gets to re-examine perhaps long-held opinions and beliefs in
the light of new research and experience.  The persons or groups doing the
"questioning", at the absolute least, learn how to ask their questions
better.  Everyone benefits.

Of the different lists to which I subscribe, the ones which have
international participation are clearly the most informative, most helpful
and best self-regulating.  A list where discussion was limited because of
an ill-placed apprehension of hurting someone's feelings would probably be
about as interesting as a plate of cold, leftover peas.  One thing which I
suspect that I am not alone in doing is that when I have something to
communicate that may be offensive and/or inflammable, I try to send it
directly to the folks involved.  If nothing else, it does tend to limit the
amount of "flame" mail I get...

Back to pianos, I do appreciate the information about the Foerster.  Most
of the limited number of them I have seen we either pre-war or mid '70s.
Two extremes of production which you have explained very well.

There is, of course, a story connected with my new (thanks to you!)
signature line.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley

"I believe I'd go with the pliers."  -  Bill Brandom

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062
LiNCS help line: 415.725.4627