Ink on ivory

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:57:43 +0000

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will remove permanent marker ink from ivories
(do not use on plastic). It will also remove adheasive residue. It works
so well that I can't keep a lable on the reagent bottle. MEK and Xylene
are the two handiest solvents in my shop.

MEK will wash off the old spirit varnish type finishes from bridges (and
soundboards) without removing the graphite off the bridge tops as will
denatured alcohol. MEK is also the debonder for CA glues and will get
rid of the white blush on accelerated CA.

Xylene is the best antidote for graphite paste. It will flush it all out
from trapwork, etc.

MEK and Xylene are both excellent for the final solvent rinse after
stripping, and are both useful in spraying water-based laquers. I buy
them both by the gallon.

Good luck with the ivories. Don't flood them with the MEK. It usually
works so fast that too much will let the ink flow into the pores. It
will all eventually come out, but try frenching it off first.

Richard Anderson, RPT
Elgin, IL