Ink Removal

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:43:28 -0500 (EST)

>List:
>   I experimented with removing ink from 2 ivory tails.  One tail held
>samples of 4 colors of indelible ink (Sharpies); the other, various colors
>of magic markers.  The hair spray removed the lighter colors (yellow &
>orange) but only lightened the darker colors.  I also tried lacquer
>thinner, paint thinner, goo gone, and paint remover.  Nothing worked
>satisfactorily.  I have a feeling that nothing short of buffing will remove
>the colors.  The ivory tails are still on my workbench.  Any suggestions?
>
>   Ted Simmons

The reason I questioned your theory of hairpsray on ivories, is that several
years ago the choir director of a church wanted me to remove majic marker
from her Baldwin grand's ivory keys. Just like you, I tried everything, but
nothing worked. I then tried sanding the key, and eventualy most of the color
was gone. But by this time, I had sanded almost clear through the keytop. I
think the only way we could have gotten rid of the stain alltogether was to
sand all the way through the ivory.

Unless someone else has a solution, I don't think you can remove majic marker
from an ivory keytop.

Willem Blees RPT