tuning pin spacing

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:12:37 -0800 (PST)

	About 4 months ago, I restrung a piano that is now coming back to
haunt me.  The piano is a Krell Studio.  The problem is in the low tenor
right where it breaks to the bass, the tuning pins are so close together
that I cannot get my hammer on them.  The manufacturer, put the pins
clear at the top of the plate and did NOT offset each note higher and
lower until about 7 or 8 notes in, so the first 6 notes are exactly side
by side.
	When I restrung, I went from a #2 to a #3 pin.  What could I have
done differently?  What can I do now so that I can get my hammer on these
pins?

Ron Shiflet