Fossil Identification

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:33:24 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-01-25 10:20:33 EST, atonal@planet.eon.net (Rob Kiddell)
writes:

<< Greetings List,

 	With all this discussion of stone-related piano construction
 techniques, I hope some of the enlightened members of the list can
 help me with some identification of another type of geological piano
 part, namely the substance used by the Baldwin Co. in their wonderful
 petrified butt leathers. I've put together a tech. column on removal
 & replacement for my newsletter, and I would like to find out just
 what the @#$% those things were made of so I can s >>

Hello all:

I've replaced dozens of sets of these fossilized butt leathers.  I've heard
the old material referred to as "corfam" or  "escaine" (which doesn't really
help much,eh?).  Someone at Baldwin (Krefting?)  told me that shoes were made
out of the stuff.  He explained that there was a buckskin shortage in the
late 70's and Baldwin substituted this artificial junk...it worked well for a
while, anyway.

Bill Spurlock had a nice article in the PTJ about 3-4 years ago.

I've had very good service from Baldwin tech service regarding these pianos.
 They can provide pre-cut leathers and a supply of glue (unless you have
access to hot hide).  This is major work: plan about 6 hours, as quite a bit
of regulation needs to be done.  And always replace the backcheck leather at
the same time (ask for two sets from tech service)

Hope this helps!

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI