Amazing stories! (was Re: different soundboards)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 11:41:22 -0500 (EST)

Frans;
 Years ago I used to tune at the St. Augustine school for the Blind and Deaf
in St. Augustine, Florida.  The music teacher there was a fine old gentleman
who would have all of his students come around to one of the better pianos
while I was tuning. I would explain what I was going to do and the ones who
could hear would translate to the deaf children what I said. I would then
demonstrate  a pure note followed immediately by a beating note. I was always
amazed a what a small difference in beat rates that the deaf children could
pick up on.  I would let some of the older, deaf and hearing, children try
their hand at tuning unisons. After just a short time the deaf children could
do almost as good a job of unison tuning as could the hearing. Each of these
experiences was both heart warming and heart wrenching at the same time.
Regards;
Jim Bryant (FL)