Capstan Burrs

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:37:17 -0500 (EST)

List -

I've heard others talk about rough spots or burrs on key capstans before but
never till today had any sluggishness to deal with that I could trace to
that.

I just tuned a Baldwin 243, about 30 years old, that I had given a thorough
key easing job to about 15 months ago.  One key that had been a long standing
problem was hanging slightly if you let it return slowly enough.  I could
find no friction in the key or wippen sufficient to cause it.

I took out the key and looked at the capstan head.  Seemed smooth enough, but
when I ran my finger around the back side, there was a burr big enough to
feel but too small to see.  A couple of swipes with a file and polishing with
0000 steel wool, and it worked perfectly.

Anyone else run into this?

Bill Maxim, RPT