tape on keytops

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 07:18:42 -0500 (EST)

Larry and list-

When I find remnants of tape on keytops, I find naptha and similar solvents
to be very good, and very handy since I keep a little plastic bottle in my
kit all the time (for freeing sluggish action centers).

Just don't use any solvent that will dissolve the plastic of the keys.  Years
ago I messed up some keys that I had just recovered with molded plastic from
Tuners Supply, by spraying the piano with X-Hale Moth Exterminator (also from
Tuners Supply).  When I complained about the incompatibility, they did at
least have the courtesy to reply, but that's all the positive I can say about
their understanding.

BTW, assuming that many of you carry small containers of glue, fluids, etc.
in your kit for quick use without running out to the car -- how do you
protect your tools and kit from the occasional (and inevitable) leaks and
spills?  I've begun using Ziploc bags but wonder if someone has a better
idea.

Bill Maxim, RPT