A new Squeak!

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:10:57 -0500 (EST)

<<
 Today, I found a doozy in the treble section of a WX-1. (Yamaha) I
 finally isolated it to the key itself by lifting the wippen up and
 moving the key by itself.  The culprit was a worn center rail bushing
 that was down to the glue. This key had the back half going off to the
 right about 20 degrees so that the pin was rubbing on the left bushing
 as it was being played.  I've had this situation keep the key from
 returning to rest but this is the first one that squeaked!

I've been dealing with balance rail pins squeaking in Yamahas as well as
other makes, since about 1970 when I was working for a Yamaha dealer.  The
bushings were not necessarily worn, and have always responded well to a drop
of Protek CLP (I have found plain Naptha to work -and even paint thinner in a
pinch).

Bill Maxim, RPT