concrete rim

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:21:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hello List,

In keeping with the thread of odd materials used in piano construction, has
anyone ever seen a grand piano that had a concrete rim? I ran into one back
in the seventies but unfortunately any record I had on this is missing. The
piano was located in a home near Reading, PA.

I remember noticing a strange rim separation during the inspection. Further
investigation revealed that the rim was not made of wood. I spoke to an old
timer in the area and he replied yes, that company made concrete rims.
Anybody out there know what company this was?

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu