Fwd: Non Tuning tip (fwd)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:09:47 -0700 (MST)

I tho't it might be good to start a new thread.  Yes, I can do things
besides tuning.

When doing let-off or escapement adjustment, you have usually 88
adjustments to make.  It is a great time saver especially with the
let-off dowels if you regulate the first one and count how many times
you insert the tool for another quarter turn.  Then do that many turns
on the next several.  Occasionally check to see that you are still in
the ballpark (close) and revise the number of turns if necessary.  The
first time over don't be so pickey.  You can make good speed this way
and then on the last time around, get very careful.

I always do the let-off in the piano rather than on the workbench
because that's where it counts the most.  I keep my head down, looking
under the pinblock most of the time, only looking up over the tuning
pins occasionally to see that I'm still in the ballpark. For the dowel
type, one can make a tool something like below to grasp the dowel while
looking at the hammers from above:
                            __
         (   )             |  |      This can be made from strapping
          \ /              |__|      Metal or some other spring steel
          | |              |  |
          | |              |  |      You could glue sandpaper inside
          | |              |  |      the curve.  Nylon tape can be
          | |              |  |      wound around to keep the jaws
          | |              |  |      from opening up too much. Grasp
          | |              |  |      the tool near the dowel, squeeze
          | |              |__|      and turn in desired direction.
           ^                         This works as good as the M&H
        Top View          Side view  wrench which most of us use on
                                     the eyescrew type adjustment.

If you prefer to do the rough regulation work on the workbench, you
could make a tool like this with a dowel handle:

                   \
                    |         This tool should be only 2 to 3 inches
                    |         long.

                    -         This can be operated with 2 fingers
                   | |        which grasp it at the indentations of
                   ) (        sides of the dowel.  Make it comfortable
                   | |        for you.  You can make quicker turns with
                   | |        a short dowel like this and you wont be
                    -         jamming against the balance pins etc.

Note:  If the ASCII art above doesn't look right, enlarge your screen
or print it out.

Jim Coleman, Sr.