ears and electricity

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:37:53 -0800

John Musselwhite wrote:

> If I may make a comment here (being from cattle country and all <g>),
> cowboys, while known to be a bit "colourful" in their behaviour, are also
> generally respected as loyal, tough, trustworthy hard workers.  B-})
>
> Those whom you call "cowboys" we generally refer to as "gunslingers".
> Cowboys are fun (and music)-loving romantics, whereas gunslingers are sleazy
> and irreputable itenerants who make their livings with a weapon without a
> care for the welfare of others.

John,

A professional cattle herder in this area would probably give you a
knuckle sandwich if you called him a "cowboy"!  They got away from that
right after Hollywood came out with the movie "Drugstore Cowboy"
referring to the duded-up city boys cruizing the bars in their boots and
ten-gallon hats.  Cowboy refers to someone pretending to be "macho" and
something he isn't!  The "Professional" is called a "cowhand, or simply
a "hand"!  The latter term has been adopted by the professional
truckdrivers in the U.S. to replace the term "Good Buddy" which nows
refers to a homosexual. FYI

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher