Player Problem, Agraffes

Ferdinand Pointer fphinizy@pipeline.com
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:46:51 -0500

At 10:39 AM 1/19/97 +0000, you wrote:

>The first is in regards to a Hardman Duo player console piano.  The
>tempo lever is apparently disconnected, leaving the action a the
>lowest tempo setting.  The tempo lever moves its control rod in and
>out of the bellows (a governor?) freely, making no change.  How does
>one get inside this black box and reattach the rod?

Patrick:   The little black governor box that the slide rod goes into has a
front cover with several screws around its edge.  Remove the cover and you
will see two small slides made of wood.  One is attached to the re-roll rod
and the other is attached to the tempo slide rod.  Usually the rod has a
small bend in the end and it is inserted into the slide.  This rod has
probably gotten out of the little block.  Over the years there were several
methods of attaching the rod to the block, so look carefully and determine
how this one should be kept in the block. Make sure the slide is free to be
kept flat by its spring and not bind on the rod or you will still have no
tempo control. I hope this will help.

Ferdinand Pointer
Clearwater, FL

P.S.   If you are comming to Orlando next summer, I will be teaching a class
on servicing player pianos from the 1950's to the 1980's for the non player
techinician. Many common problems from the five main makers of this period
will be covered. I hope to see you there.