electrical ears

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:30:11 -0700

Dear Andre,

Nice to hear someone talk about the rigors of Yamaha training.
I too am a sort of inbetween 48.
My stint with Yamaha factory training started in 1974. One year of intense
training followed by three years apprenticeship. Only then was the
certificate awarded.
The tuning portion was particularly demanding(or should I say the=
 instructors).
The first 3 Months, tuning 8 hours a day. The next 9 months - 6 hours of
tuning  with 2 hours a day dedicated to regulating and voicing. All the time
the tests. Aurally and electronically. I have a stack of test graphs that
would challange the size of a  set of encyclopedias. I too learned the use
of the ETD, but was encouraged by my instructors not to rely on it. NOTHING
against the machine (many times I wanted to use it just to give my head a
break). Seemed to be maybe a pride thing with them
at the time (planted in my sub-conscience as well perhaps?) Pretty well all
of my work for the past 10 years has been concert work.
I'm quite sure if I had to put up with going back to all the little spinets
etc., I would  likely pull out my old PT-3-----glorified guitar tuner.
To answer Jim Colemans question, if I may, I was at the right place at the
right time. I answered a nation wide advert for Yamaha Piano Tech trainees.

I would love to hear more on this glass soundboard.

Warmest regards
Bob

Dear colleagues,

>Thank you for your comments on my email about  "ears and electricity".
>I think we basically all agree on the same matter, yes.
>So much has been said about this that at a certain moment we can dedicate
ourselves to the next issue.=20
>I think it all comes down to this: In these fast electronic times the older
generation might hold on to trusted techniques and at the same time try out
new methods whereas the newer generations get tired and develop other and
sometimes better ways.
>I am not so old but sort of inbetween..48 years.
>I have tuned more than 25.000 piano's and probably 30.000 by ear. and only
these last years have I worked with a machine too.
>My final conclusion is this: As long as it sounds "OK" it's fine with me.
>I only feel that it is very important to learn the basics first.
>It is like the pupils on a highschool: if you allow them to use calculators
without first teaching them basic old fashioned calculation and algebra,
they have missed essential knowledge and that is the reason why there are
very many highschool pupils , today, everywhere, who do not know how to
write a proper letter, or have never heard of Madagascar or holland. They
become morons, so to speak. If I cannot write properly in english then flame=
 me!
>I have never yet been to Madagascar, but I know where Holland is!!
>
>Thank you so much, it was fun!
>I hope to meet you all one day!
>
>PS. there is a great book about Madagascar written by Derphla Murphy (an
Irish author)

>Friendly Greetings from:
>
>CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
>Andr=E9 Oorebeek