ears and electricity

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 18:46:10 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-01-18 08:31:53 EST, Andre writes:

>At the Piano technical Academy, first year students start their training
with
>a machine.
>They get lessons in  handling the tuning hammer and manipulating the tuning
>pins.

This technique of training tuners to manipulate the hammer, and get a feel
for what they are doing is akin to the Suzukie method of teaching piano and
other instruments. Students first learn how to play an instrument by rote,
concentrating on muscle development and ear training, and not paying
attention to learning a different language (music). Then after they have
learned the technique of playing, music notation is introduced.  Based on the
fact that there are many very succesful music Japanes musicians in our
schools and orchestras, perhaps we have been doing it all wrong.

When I first learned how to tune, I used a SOT, which allowed me to learn to
listen to the way it was supposed to be.  I weaned myself after about a year.
the SAT, and use it as a tool to get me where I have to be. I think it is not
a bad idea to learn to tune using a SAT, as long as the student is using the
machine to learn to tune without it, and not just as a crutch to get the end
result.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis