foot switch (WAR??)

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 19:42:00 +0000

Hi Jim,

You will never win the battle convincing aural tuners that visual tuners
are better or even equal. This is due to forte per cent are ill informed
and sixty per cent have a justified worry.

The justification comes not from the individual who buys a SAT, this
person by the nature of the amount of money they have spent means they
intends to follow a career in piano tuning and I will help this
individual any way I can.

It is the Johnny come lately chappy, who buys a cheap ETD and sets
himself up as a part time de-tuner at weekends.  Tuning pianos for
fifteen dollars, this is the tuner who worries most aural tuners.  This
is the tuner with a ETD that is viewed by most of the tuners in the U.K.

Your tune off's although interesting,  only serve to help the individual
who wishes to make a bit of money on the side.  If the media latches on
to the tune off's and there is nothing to fill the end of their news
cause no politicians have been caught with their Secretaries lately.
You can imagine the head lines.  great Tune off in States of what ever,
whatever, and in England now prove conclusively that ETDs are far
superior than the human ear.  Some bright spark then starts advertising
in your National press earn extra money at weekends by my kit learn to
tune pianos in a weekend only two hundred dollars.

Who will suffer the most?  the visual tuner, or the aural tuner.  It
will be the public.  However, the aural tuner will suffer,  but the
visual tuner will suffer more,  as they will have educated there
client's  in to the beauties of ETDs.  So when the advertisements appear
in your local press have your piano tuned by ETD scientifically proven
in field tests at PTG Conventions  to be far superior than aural tuning.
And you won't be able to stop them because the law under advertising has
not been broken.  As far as the general public is concerned the little
cheap  guitar tuner is just the same as the mighty SAT until the tuner
has gone.  Then look at the damage done to ETD reputation.

What a black and sad picture.

 Like our colleagues in Sweeden we have a very rigid college based
training schedule, totally dedicated to aural tuning.  In the U.S. you
seem to be geared up more for distant learning.  Which lends itself very
nicely to the use of ETDs.

The picture may change here in the U.K. as the colleges are finding it
increasingly difficult to obtain funding for students on piano tuning
courses.  Possibly we will go down the same road as you with more
distant learning programmes to fill the need for tuners.  I hope that
day will never come, however, if that day does come ETDs will play a
bigger role in the tuning of pianos in the U.K.

Take Care

Barrie.

n article <Pine.PCW.3.91.970116214923.5391B-100000@ppp1-
18.inre.asu.edu>, Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |