foot switch (WAR??)(peace!)

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:44:21 -0700

Reply to Jim Coleman:

Jim wrote:

My apologies to the list:

> I have endeavored to defuse the disrespect between aural and
>visual tuners. I do believe that our efforts have helped elevate the
>standards of both aural and visual tuners.

Absolutely no disrespect meant. Your efforts have done a great deal.

> So, it's not the method.  It's the skill
>that wins.  Our present PTG tuning test requires that one be able
>to demonstrate a certain level of skill in aural tuning at least in
>the temperament and midrange area even tho' the examinee uses an
>electronic tuning device.  It is hoped that this would defuse some
>of the exclusive comments that occasionally arise.

>Jim Coleman, Sr.

A little too much was read into my reply.  Simply put, the more time spent
fidgeting around with knobs, buttons, etc...., Hal most likely would have
agreed with at least one post and replyed..."put a sock on it and get on
with the job at hand --a good, solid tuning!"

>PS According to the PTJ list for coming events, the Sunday morning
>of the 20th of July will be the date that Virgil and I will demonstrate
>our two respective methods for tuning (voting immediately afterward)

I would love to take you up on your offer and perhaps join you in a
demonstration. My mother spent her teen years in Ft. Myers...I would love to
see that as well.

>PS to Bob:  Thanks for mentioning Hal Lyne.  He was a good friend who
>has been in my home.
>JWC

Hal was a great friend and teacher. Just for him to be in your home meant he
must have thought a great deal of you.

Respectfully Yours,

Bob

>> ll/rm