foot switch (WAR??)

Östen Häggmark haggmark@algonet.se
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:13:21 +0100 (MET)

Hello list!

I'm an pianotechnician living i Stockholm, Sweden. I went on-line about two
months ago and one of the reasons for doing it was the opportunity to get
the information and the discussions on  pianotech I knew was going on there.

One of first things that struck me reading this list, was that some things
seemed to be universal in the world of piano tuning, and chiefest among
them, the war over tuning machines.

Yes, we have the same tuning machine debate here in Sweden. The issues are
not exactly the same, but the strong feelings are.

No serious, qualified tuner in Sweden uses any tuning devices . We are
educated, well sort of brought up on aural tuning. As far as I know, there
are practically no SAT:s in Sweden sofar. The only one I know of is the one
currently standing on my desktop, bought in by the Swedish Association of
pianotuners and -technicians SPTF (I'm a member) a couple of years ago. The
idea was for evaluation and use in the SPTF test. Sad to say, it has mostly
been gathering dust, but know I'm using it on the road, trying to learn how
to use the thing.

And after using it for a while, the same thing happened to me that I
believe (from reading the list) happened to every tuner who starts using
the SAT:=20
I had to say to myself, how did I manage without it?

I want to thank everybody for a very interesting list, and specially Mr J
Coleman and Mr F Sturm for their recent SAT articles which answered some of
my new beginner questions. Mr Sturm's article on the F-number nicely solved
the problems on the plain steel/wound string transition in the low treble
part. A lot of the pianos I tune are small and not so well scaled. In a way
I feel I have the best use of the SAT in those pianos.

Hope I got the english right.

My very best regards
=D6sten H=E4ggmark
Pianotechnician SPTF