foot switch (WAR??)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:42:37 -0700 (MST)

My apologies to the list:

For some 35 years I have tried to integrate the understanding of
aural tuning and electronic tuning through articles in the PTJ and
in classes all over the country at Seminars and Conventions.  It's
obvious that a nerve was touched by a previous post.  I should have
left out the challenge part at least.  Really, I'm not the greatest
piano tuner in the world.  I personally know many who are better.

Being an aural tuner since 1942-3 and a user of electronics since
1948, I have endeavored to defuse the disrespect between aural and
visual tuners. I do believe that our efforts have helped elevate the
standards of both aural and visual tuners.

There is no question that between an expert aural tuner
and a novice electronic tuner, the aural tuner wins.  Likewise
between an expert electronic tuner and a novice aural tuner, the
electronic tuner wins.  So, it's not the method.  It's the skill
that wins.  Our present PTG tuning test requires that one be able
to demonstrate a certain level of skill in aural tuning at least in
the temperament and midrange area even tho' the examinee uses an
electronic tuning device.  It is hoped that this would defuse some
of the exclusive comments that occasionally arise.

In the current PT Journal, Virgil and I wrote articles
in which it was predicted that there would be little difference
between his tuning (aural) and my tuning (electronic).  The resulting
votes showed this to be true in the article by our editor Steve Brady.

The last time I introduced the word "war", I got into trouble on this
list, so once again please accept my apologies. I'll scratch the word
from my electronic dictionary.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS According to the PTJ list for coming events, the Sunday morning
of the 20th of July will be the date that Virgil and I will demonstrate
our two respective methods for tuning (voting immediately afterward)

PS to Bob:  Thanks for mentioning Hal Lyne.  He was a good friend who
has been in my home.
JWC