Horn Wedge

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:52:48 -0600 (MDT)

        Reply to:   RE>Horn Wedge
Willem,

Once, long  ago, I had the same problem; after the first chipping to pitch
I was unaware the wedge had dropped out until I saw it lying on the keybed.
The gap between the horn (Steinways call it the nose) had completely closed
and it was impossible to insert the wedge. What happened was that the bass
plate struts bent sideways. They straightened again once the strings
tension was lowered. Since then I have made a practise of first hammering
the wedge in tight and then supporting it with a simple setup utilising a
small machinists jack.
Obviously, the horn design is  significant in resisting distortion in the
plate and increasing the load bearing capacity of the whole structure. I
only wish the design was carried further. For instance there could be one
at the bottom of the bass as well as the bass and tenor break and a third
at the top of the tenor section. At one time I did own a very fine Pleyel
grand which had two horns, one in the bass/tenor break and one at the top
of the tenor.
Perhaps the whole notion is overkill, but is tantalizing nonetheless.
My apologies for the late responce, but have been away and am going through
some one thousand posts.

Regards, Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca