Kimball grand 580P sustain lever dowel

Gary Evoniuk Ph.D. evoniuk~ge@glaxowellcome.com
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:15:01 -0500

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

>>I was suprised to see that the pitman dowel was very
short (barely extending below the keybed), and attached to a
spring which substituted for what should have been the bottom
half of the dowel. Have the rest of you had the misfortune to
find this in other Kimballs? I plan to retrofit a normal pitman
dowel in the future.

Patrick:

FWIW, in my older (1965) Kimball 580 the pitman dowel is about
10cm long, with the bottom resting directly on the trapwork lever
(well okay, there's a small leather pad between them).  Top has a
large brass capstan head, sitting under the damper tray -  giving
a second adjustment option.  No idea why they would have made
such a design change.

Gary Evoniuk
Durham, N.C.