Monochord (BMW Isetta)

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 07:14:46 -0800 (PST)

Dear Keith and List,

Yes, you are correct about the BMW Isetta. The entry door was on the
front of the car, hinged on the left side. The dashboard and steering
wheel were attached, and swung out forward with the door when it was
opened. The two occupants sat side by side on a bench seat. The four
speed stick shift sprouted out of the left (driver's) sidewall, and the
shift pattern was upside down and backwards from the usual.

    The engine was derived from the 300cc single cylinder BMW motorcycle
engine, and was quite refined. The transmission was all synchromesh, and
drove the rear axle via a fully enclosed chain drive. The rear axle was
solid (no differential), and the two rear wheels were 18" apart. They
could be made to scrub a bit around tight corners. All four wheels were
10" diameter.

                                             With only 300cc detuned to
about 7 horsepower, it wasn't a real screamer, but was still a blast to
drive. Braking performance was extroardinary; with only 700 lbs. curb
weight and Michelin Xs, it would stop in an impossibly short distance,
while hopping up and down at the same time.

 It looked really funny, with the headlights mounted outboard in podlike
enclosures.

                   The Isetta was one of a class of tiny cars produced in
Europe in the late '50s and early '60s, now known affectionately as
bubblecars. Also produced were the Heinkel, Messerschmitt, and probably
others. They met a need for fuel efficient urban runabouts during a time
of fuel shortages in Europe. The Messerschmitt was really bizarre, as the
passenger sat behind the driver under a streamlined clear plastic canopy,
just as in the aircraft which had come from the same factory. It was a
true three wheeler. To engage reverse, the driver would stop the engine,
reverse the polarity on the dynamo, and restart the two stroke engine
running backwards. He then had four reverse speeds at his disposal if he
dared!

 My  Isetta was sold in 1976, about the time I started messing around
with pianos. Gee whiz, I miss it now that I think about it.

Sorry List, for straying so far from a piano related topic.

                                                 Steve Schell

                                             stfrsc@juno.com