Fair fees

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:17:36 -0800

Stephen F Schell wrote:

> Dear Lance and List,
>
>  Lance, in regard to the
> payment of your services, I believe you erred by not being clear in
> advance with all involved as to who was to pay for what, and how much it
> would cost. Manufacturers will usually pay only for repairs they have
> authorized, at an agreed upon amount or rate. A dealer likewise has the
> right to know what is happening, and the right of prior approval of any
> work  they will have to pay for. No one likes to receive a surprise
> bill. The old Dale Carnegie principle of putting yourself in the other
> person's shoes applies here.

Hey Steve- Thanks for responding and the sympathetic and encouraging
words.  This situation with the church is not a new one for me, but I'm
glad I can bounce the experience and our business "thought process" off
of the techs on this list serv.
I did get the O.k. from the dealer for payment..  But because I had
several other warranty jobs in motion already (a couple with this manfg)
I just billed the wrong one.  My main concern and reason for writing to
the listserv was that when he reminded me I should have billed the
dealer, he used the opportunity to question my prices; be it billed to
them or ANYONE..  I don't think I overcharged and am asking the rest of
you if I was out of line in what I charged for services rendered or was
he wrong in telling me that I was WAY over priced???  I'm curious what
others would have charged and if (from a business standpoint) I'm way out
of the box.

Lance Lafargue,RPT
New Orleans