Astin Weight pedals

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 15:47:42 -0800

Ronald R Shiflet wrote:

> Liszt,
>         I just worked on my first Astin Weight piano yesterday.  All went
> pretty well but I do have a question about the pedals.  The brackets are pressed sheet metal with nylon bushings in them.  The metal has
> apparently weakened and now the pedal has side play in it and it squeeks
> as it rubs the sides going down.  I tried alignment, tightening  down the
> screws and even switching the brackets with the less used pedals but all
> to no avail.  Any suggestions?
>
> Ron

Ron,

Replace the brackets.  Use APSCO #30609,30610 pg 96 or Schaff 2586 or
2587.  If the Astin brackets are an unusual size or breed of cat, you
may need to shim under them to make them higher or rout the board to
make them lower.  Mark the position of the pedal pins on the board.  If
you're lucky the new bracket will line up with at least one of the old
bracket's screw holes. Plug any holes you're not using they may be too
close to the new ones and weaken the repair.  I like the cast iron
brackets that APSCO has.  Installed with a little graphite grease in the
holes and they'll go many a year without problems or squeaks!

Good luck

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher