Was Re: Lo bass tuning

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 03:00:55 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-01-09 19:20:44 EST, Willem Blees wrote:

<< I wonder if the problem has to do with her definition of  "sharp". >>

I've just returned from a trip and noted with interest the customer's
justifiable sense that the bass of a properly tuned LaPetite sounds "sharp."
 I could also characterize it as "busy" or "nervous."

Willem called attention to  the need to understand what a customer means by
the words she uses, which may be different from our usage.  I recently wasted
an hour going over a Mason & Hamlin T3 Grand that I had regulated and voiced
for a customer 2-3 years ago.  The complaint was of an unwanted "ping."

After rechecking the string leveling and getting ready to voice it down some
more, (which I assumed he wanted), I suddenly noted a completely different
sound, which I would not myself have called a "ping."  My name would have
been "tweak" or "twick," the one that occurs when releasing a key.

I called the customer to listen and played a note that had a particularly
hard damper, and asked if it was the sound it made on releasing, and he said,
"that's it!"

It pays to listen, and having heard, open your mind to other possibilities
than the idea that first pops into your head.  Then ask enough questions to
make sure you are narrowing in on the problem.

Back to the LaPetite - you have received a lot of good advice, which I cannot
improve on.  Tuning aurally, I have never had any complaints on my tuning of
a LaPetite except for my own -- the bass never sounds in tune, the best I can
do.

Bill Maxim, RPT