Refinishing Vintage Steinways

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:15:07 -0600

waco@ari.net wrote:

> Danny Moore writes:
>
> >Frank, have you spoken to Steinway about this instrument?  They have
> >very accurate records back to the mid 1800s.  Ron Sanford had a piano in
> >his shop circa 1903 that (he thought) was original black.  When
> >quierried, steinway informed him that instrument had been shipped in a
> >natural finish.
>
> I have contacted Steinway, but they were not too forthcomming.  They confirmed
> that the instrument model matched the serial number, and the date of sale and
> purchaser - Lyon & Healy, Chicago, Dec 29, 1917.  No additional information was
> provided.  Is there a secret number or special person who would know more?
>
> Frank Weston
Wow, the have always been more accomidating that that when I've called.
They seem a little stiff to this "Texan" but I've always written that
off to their German decent and the fact they have to live in New York
City.

Anyway, our guild meeting is tomorrow (Houston Chapter) so I'll ask
around and see if there are any secrets I'm unaware of.

Best of luck,
	Danny