Tuning Exam Tip

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:27:13 -0500

Hi Dean,

We carefully checked the upper octaves aurally, me and
the 3 tuning examiners (Teri Meredyth, RPT, Steve
Schell, RPT, and Brian Holt, RPT).  My upper octaves
were noticeably narrow.  It's possible that I
subtracted the cents incorrectly for the highest
octave, but I had enough time to go over the entire
piano 4 times, I rechecked the high treble a fifth
time, and I tried to be very careful each time.

To be honest, I didn't even check the upper octave for
clean sounding octaves aurally (my mistake), I just
tuned straight off the SAT using the high-treble-tip.
I'm completely to blame for the errors as I'm the one
who tuned the piano.  I guess this is a good lesson in
that your ears must be the final judge - not a machine!
(Although, the SAT scored at 95+ percent (overall
average) during this exam - not bad.)

As far as the master tuning possibly being "off" a bit,
I don't think this was the case.  The piano (Yamaha C3)
was master-tuned several years ago, and they rechecked
it just last year making very, very minor mods.  Of all
the examiners to be guilty of not strictly following
the exam rules for the upper octaves, these would be
the last folks to do it.  My exam experiences in Long
Beach were by far some of the most professional, fair,
encouraging, and helpful experiences I have ever
encountered.  The Long Beach test center for Southern
California has got to be one of the best.  And all the
examiners I encountered were ultra-professional.

Anyways, I still suggest to future examinees to tune
the exam piano the way you would any other piano in
real life - just do your best, and aurally check those
upper octaves when using an ETD!

Regards,

John Piesik, RPT

Usually the above tip is very helpful if the examiners follow the exam
rules and set up the highest octave tuning to single octaves.  They
sometimes don't, in this case they probably tuned to double octaves or
wider, a better sounding tuning but not strictly following the rules which
specify clean single octaves.

I would love to have checked the the single 2:1 octaves on that master
tuning, I'm pretty sure they would check very wide.

See you in Febuary!

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT
 2695 Indian Lakes Road