Lo bass tuning

Richard M remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:07:35 -0600

> << I need some help.  I tuned a Kimball laPetite a month ago using my SAT
and
>  the customer called me back complaining about the low bass being out of
>  tune.  >>

Call backs are part of any service business.  The more grey hair you have
the less call backs. Unless you make mistakes.  There are very few pianos
when seen for the first time, that do not really need two tunings.  If I
don't write on the invoice, "tune in one to six months",  I have tuned a
musician quality instrument that did not need to be raised to pitch, and it
was tuned in the last 3 years.
	In your case the customer must have faith when you say, "this is the best
that can be expected from this piano."  99.9 percent of clients who have
questions  about the sound of the piano after you tune are first timers and
the piano is undersized.
	If you are short on time and do not wish to see the piano or client again,
and you are sure you did not make a mistake, you could offer a refund if
she finds a tuner that tunes to her satisfaction (in a reasonable amount of
time.)  You did write on the invoice a second tuning recomended in 30 days
didn't you?
    Call backs are so rare and because of the possiblity of a mistake, a
return call is usually in order.  Even rarer is  having to say,  "This is
the best I can do.  If you would like to call some one else and you are
satisfied with  the improvement, and he thinks you are entitled to a
refund, give me a call."    I have had to say this twice in 20 years and I
didn't get called back on it. They were spinets.
	Even if you made a mistake, the good will by coming back and rectifying it
will compensate.

Richard Moody