Mirror Pianos

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 01:44:34 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I too grew up with one of those mirror pianos (just like Dick). My
parents still have it and it still works fairly well. Brand name was Martha
Washington, an old player piano *restyled*. (Maybe it was a Martha & the
Vandellas!?)

I also service a few of them in this neck of the woods. There is even one
*technician* in the general area still doing this kind of *refurbishing*. The
only difference is, he also *refinishes* them with padded naugahyde.
(Remember those poor Nauga creatures next time you run across one of these
pianos!)

My biggest problem is that each piano seems to have the mirror attached, and
come off differently. Would that they all came off like the one on my
parent's piano. That mirror is attached to the wood ledge and backing that
all comes off as a unit. That seems to leave very little chance to break the
mirror and puncture my veins or arteries in the process.

John Elving
Elving's Piano Service
Sacramento, CA
JElving@aol.com

See you in Sacramento February 21-23,  for the California State PTG
Convention!