Broken tuning pins

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 20:45:01 +0000

Richard

I don't think that driving the old pins through the bottom would help much in resizing the
hole and you would risk tearing out some of the bottom laminations.

A method that has worked for me involves modifying a rattail file to be used as a
reamer. After determining (or guessing) what amount of interference you need for the
multi-lam block, set your calipers to the appropriate diameter, run it up on the file until it
stops and mark the spot (masking tape or something). Then, using a grinder, reduce  the
diameter of the file above that (towards the tang) for about  1-1/2".  Leave another 1-1/2"
(to fit in your drill chuck), grind a notch and snap off the tang end. Grind another notch
about 3/4" below the reduced diameter area and snap off the tip.

If a test pin seems alittle loose, you can grind some off until the pin feels right. You now
have a custom-made reamer.

Tom Cole

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT