Mason & Risch Serial Numbers

Aaron Bousel abousel@rocler.qc.ca
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 23:30:58 -0500

Rob Kiddell wrote,
>	I've rebuilt several Mason & Risch pianos, and the safest way to
>find the date of manufacture is the stamp on the action. Look
>closely, does it have a month and day next to the 1910?  That should
>be your year.
Yes, there was a month and day on the action, I just couldn't remember what
they were.  I'm more curious as to why they would have displayed so
prominently a number that was not the serial number.

>	Mason & Risch serial numbers are notoriously incorrect in the Pierce
>Atlas, I find Canadian sources are better, such as the Canadian Piano
>Atlas, formerly from D.M. Best, now from Pianophile.
Both Pierce and Pianophile gave me 1912, according to the second number I
found.  If the action were made in 1910 is it possible that the piano didn't
leave the factory until 1912, especially considering that it's a player?

>	Also, is this a Mason & Risch stencil piano, such as Harmonic,
>Haddon Hall, etc?
No.  It's the genuine article.  Agraffes throughout the tenor and treble.
They made a lovely piano in their day, didn't they?

Regards,

Aaron Bousel
Ormstown, QC  Canada
abousel@rocler.qc.ca