Help with splitting bass bridge

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 18:26:44 +0000

Hi Bill,

This is how I do bass bridges,  can be done on site

First take a rubbing of all pins, then release the tension of the base
strings in the effected area, not necessary to release the tension on
unaffected area.  Pull out pins in the split section.  With a V shaped
cutting chisel the type you would use for your shims on a soundboard.
Cut a groove approximately 25mm deep and 5mm thick you can use a router
with the appropriate cutting tool.  You will find your chisel cuts it
easy

Make sure that you remove at least two good
pins which are not in the split area, take your groove from their to
the end of the bridge.  Cut a piece of Beech in to a V shape and saw to
the appropriate length.  Make sure that the V shape piece is deeper than
the 25mm  groove and that the angle of descent of the V is the same as
the groove.  Mix some epoxy resin.  Place the epoxy resin on your Beech
Shim and tap down in to place with the shaft of your hammer, take four
strings of equal spacing and reattach to the hitch pins and apply
equal tension.  This will ensure, that the shim stays in place and well
bedded down.  Remove any excess glue being careful not to get any on
the strings  let it dry.  Remove tension from base strings
and plain down the excess shim,( or cut with a knife or  chisel) smooth
off.  Re burnish the area reposition your template you made earlier with
the rubbings use a needle punch and punch the positions for the bridge
pins.  Measure old bridge pins and pilot holes to the appropriate size,
not forgetting to drill at a slight angle to introduce side angle.

  I find a hand drill much easier to control than using an electric
drill.  Knock the old pins back in to place or use 1" new ones file pins
off replace strings pull up to tension.    If you've
done it right no one will ever know you were their.  There should be too
faint glue lines and if you have chose your materials wisely it should
blend in nicely I gave beech just as an example hope that makes
sense.

If you do not have a V shaped
cutting chisel make one,  out of an old screwdriver

Barrie,

In article <970106162039_1491837729@emout17.mail.aol.com>,
WMaxim@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |