Sharing SAT tunings

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 09:49:47 -0600 (CST)

I would only add that for the case of a particularly interesting, unusual=
=20
or difficult temperament this should be appropriate. Some time ago I=20
posted my numbers for a two octave temperament in 1/7 syntonic comma=20
meantone read at the 5th octave for a mid sized Asian grand. Of course it=
=20
would not fit another piano exactly, but one could have duplicated that=20
setting and then simply smoothed out the regular thirds and fifths=20
aurally to be of equal size. On similar pianos this aural adjustment is=20
often very minor, sometimes only moving a couple of notes slightly, and=20
that particular temperament really was a challange to set up properly.=20

I do not use this temperament often, but it is interesting because the=20
wolf beats proportionally 1:2  with its diminished fourth and it really is=
=20
magically unrestrictive.  You may have heard this temperament=20
demonstrated during one of T. Farley=D5s classes.  Anyway, it didn=D5t go f=
ar=20
because there was no feedback after sharing those numbers.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College