Help with splitting bass bridge

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 07:56:25 -0500 (EST)

Here's my method of bass bridge repair:
What caused it to split?  Either poor wood or the pins drilled in the
wrong place giving too much side bearing, or even up bearing.
I like to start right and measure exactly for the pin position rather
than rely on a possibly rushed factory job.
First note configuration of notches or pin line, make a pattern or
        measure in from edge (for string length purposes only).
Check bearing, at 4 spots - too high (?), too low (?); make note.
        (Chances are it'll be too low making everything easy).
Place a nickle on the plate in front of the hitch pins (or something of that
height) .
        Place the down bearing string on the nickle. Measure height from sound
        board at bridge ends (and center bearing checks - make a notch if
nec.).
        >this is how high it_needs_to be to give proper down bearing.<
Measure thickness of capping material and route enough so you end up with
        your pre determined bridge height. If center needs to be higher,
route to
        that height and adjust ends after cap is glued.
Glue on cap and trim flush, adjust down bearing if necessary.  Don't forget,
        apron flexing; front of cap may need to be a little lower than rear when
        measuring bearing unstrung.
Scribe a pin line or notch line from pattern.
Draw your bearing string from hitch pin to plate pin (or agraffe) and mark
where it
        crosses your scribe. Do that for every string. (Do you think they
bothered at the factory,
        or just used some worn-out template and didn't even get that into
position).
        (Spacing may be *slightly* evened out if prefered, but probably not
on this).
Center punch pin marks and drill.
File bevel or cut notches.
I color the surface with black marker and lube w/ McLube 444.
Drive pins, file tips flat, shellac wood surfaces, have a cup of coffee and
watch paint dry.

I'll probably think of something else I sould have entered, later.

I have even used Falconwood as a cap. I also use 1" pins.
Marine-Tex epoxy is great material. I have plastered it into treble bridge
caverns, let it set,
reshaped and drilled. After 20 yrs, it's still going.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
I'm working on keytop procedure, I'll check the archives and get back.