Tuners--Broken Pins

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 02:54:47 -0500

List -

Fortunately, I haven't had any broken tuning pins, although I have had some
pianos with such tight pins, I was sure they would/should break. Maybe they
hung together just enough for the next tuner to snap them off!

I did have the misfortune of having an agraffe break while tuning on an older
Chickering grand. The sound of that bereaking (actually the sound of the
strings) was enough to bring the customer quickly into the room to see what
great damage I had done to her piano. I was surprised at how easily the
broken stub came out. Not having the correct *fishtail* tool with me, I was
able to get the stub out by using my jack spring reamer. Of course, I had to
replace that tool, but it did work!

If you want to hear planty about broken and weak agraffes, especially on
older Steinways, talk to Isaac Sadigursky. He published a few articles in the
Journal a few years ago on the subject.

John Elving, RPT
Elving's Piano Service
Sacramento, CA (Home of the 1997 CA State Convention, February 21-23)
JElving@aol.com