Help with splitting bass bridge

WMaxim@aol.com WMaxim@aol.com
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 17:42:15 -0500

List -

Hoping to save the customer the expense of installing a new bass bridge, I
tried removing the affected pins and working in epoxy before pushing the pins
back in and cleaning up the surface.  It set up for a week before I put the
strings back.

The situation was different from any I have run across.  There was no
buzzing.  The only symptom was that about an octave of the bichord strings
had dropped about 50 cents.  Inspection of the bass bridge showed, not a
crack in line with any of the pins, but about an octave of them had moved.
 The impression I first had was that the offset had been too great.

On closer examination, it became plain that the wood grain was not parallel
with the surface of the bridge but was angled from the shelf toward the
surface.  Being somewhat swirly in that area, its direction matched more the
angle of the pins; each affected pin was lifting up the grain as it
approached the surface.

I was uncertain just how well epoxying the pins back would work, and sure
enough I have a call from the customer that those strings are settling out of
tune.  I had warned her that that could happen just from the loosening and
retightening in my work.  However, I paid special attention to settling them
in and am sure it is the bridge pins lifting the grain again.

Any advice at this point?  Just keep pulling back into tune until it settles
down?

Bill Maxim, RPT