broken agraffes

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:33:34 -0800

> From: Richard M <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: broken agraffes
> Date: Monday, January 06, 1997 8:20 AM
>

> ----------
> > From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> > To: Richard M <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> > Cc: pianotech@byu.edu
> > Subject: Re: broken agraffes
> > Date: Sunday, January 05, 1997 8:25 AM
> >
> > To the list in general:
> >
> > Several times on this list the name Steinway has been mentioned as the
> > brand on which Agraffes were found breaking.  In defense of the name,
> snip
>
> That's why I am wondering if these Steinways were restrung.

snip

As one of those who mentioned older Steinways in this regard,  let me add
that  they were always the original old agraffes, in pianos that were
clearly overdue for restringing.    I've never seen it happen to a newer
Steinway, or an older one that has been restrung with new agraffes.

I would also add that  I've known only one S&S grand that had more than one
broken agraffe.   Even with the old S&S grands, broken agraffes are a  very
seldom encountered problem, and should not detract from the reputation or
merits of these pianos.

Tom