piano service in music colleges

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 09:08:39 -0600

Fred and others,

   I agree with the things said in your post but just be sure that
"critical faculty" understands *why* they're not happy. That it's *not*
just because you're letting things slide for some other reason than having
enough
time/money to do a good job.
   In our new building, I'm going to have the same kind of battle. If we get
all the new instruments we're trying to, I will also have about 150
instruments to take care of! So I think I'm going to go back and study all
the things Barbara Richmond did to get her university at the time to go to
a full-time position. Maybe I can use some of the same ideas to get a
second position established. At least they've agreed to let me bring in
another
tuner to help with the tunings on a contract basis. Good luck in your battle.

Avery

Fred Sturm wrote:

> Originally I tried to "patch holes" to the extent that the faculty
>would not notice how bad things were getting. More recently I have decided
>that that was a bad policy, and so I have begun to let things slide
>noticeably - not do the half hour special regulate/lube/voice the high spots
>for the critical faculty. It's the critical faculty who need to be lobbying
>for more money/time for the technician. If they are happy, all the
>technician's bellyaching does is give him/her a reputation as a complainer.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
713-743-3226