Tuners--Broken Pins

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:54:04 +0000

Hi Jon,

I don't know the theory behind electroplating,  but what I gather, used
to happen was.  They sand blasted the frame and then  dipped it in mild
acid to clean all the muck off.  You connect a negative electrode to
one end and there is a bath full of liquid gold charged positive they
dip the frame in and the gold is bonded to the frame.

Whether it was baked after I'm not so sure.  The piano Company stopped
using that method a little after I left, apparently the electroplating
Company damaged a frame in transit and it was a customers piano whoops.
Both Companies a year later went bankrupt with in weeks of each other.

Which was fortunate for me, as I was able to buy a lot of the bankrupt
stock. The piano stock that is.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <1.5.4.16.19970105195141.1fd77ac8@capecod.net>, Jon Page