Tuners--Broken Pins

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:39:01 -0800

Niklas Eliasson wrote:

> Sy Zabrocki wrote:
>
> > In 38 years I never have experienced a broken pin. This time
> > represents about 32,000 tunings.  Also, I have never seen a broken
> > agraffe. Have I just been lucky?
>
> Broken pin? Never. Broken agraffe - not broken, but sometimes you
> could consider very old ones a bit worn out. I usually check that
> if I have to put a new bass string, for instance.
>
> A broken pin must be the result of a fabrication error - it is hard
> to guess how it otherwise could break. Or???

Niklas & Sy,

Jesse Cunningham, who is retired now, once told me he had seen several
pianos with tuning pins broken at the becket,when he first started in
the business.  He finally tracked the situation to a "tooner" whose
method of pin-setting involved raising the pitch sharp and then bending
the pin downwards (or away for grands) until he got the pitch he liked!
When the pins broke he informed the customer that those strings had gone
bad so he had removed them! I've never seen one either although I have
found a couple of broken agraffes.  I think broken pins must at one time
have been more prevalent though, because most of the supply houses have
a punch for driving a broken pin out the bottom of a grand pin block.

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net