SAT Problem

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:30:54 -0800

Sy Zabrocki wrote:

> >From Sy Zabrocki--RPT
>
> My SAT has a slight problem with the jack which receives the mini plug for the line switch. Lately the line switch won't always advance to the next note. I found that rotating the plug a half turn or so causes the switch to work again. Could the contact
 in the jack be worn enough so it doesn't touch the plug point firmly? I've even filed a mark on the plug in the position it works best.

> I have replaced the plug a couple times in the last few years.
>
> Anyone had this problem? I'll probably have to call Sanderson but don't want to send it in if not necessary.
>
> Sy Zabrocki--RPT

Sy,

This could be at least two things: your wire could be breaking inside
the plastic coating.  Use a multi-tester on the 10 ohms setting to run a
current through the cord from one end to the other.  Put alligator clips
on the probes so you don't need 4 hands to do this!  Once it's hooked up
so the current is running through one of the wires, flex the cord from
one end to the other while you watch the meter.

Probably what is wrong is that the contacts inside your SAT have gotten
coated with something out of the air.  Cigarette smoke or cooking grease
will do a dandy job of it. To correct, take a tooth pick, cut off the
point, dip in alcohol, hold your tuner so the hole points toward the
floor and twirl the pick around inside the hole, making sure to touch
all sides of the inside so that you clean the unseen contact points.
When you're through, take your heat gun and zap the hole briefly from
about six inches away so you don't ignite anything!  you don't even have
to use the heat setting if you don't want to.

Hope this helps,

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher