Needing help with Billings Flanges (Jan 2, 11:02pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:00:56 -0500

Traveling in the wrong direction is caused by an out of alignment center pin.
It occurs to me that if you have a set of grand damper holding pliers you could
grasp a but over the ends of the center pin and gently bend the flange thus
aligning the center pin.

There also may be enough room between the butt bushings to grasp the brass from
above and twist the brass without stressing the pinning.  If a damper bending
tool will not fit (I cannot remember the amount of space there) you could make
a bending tool from an old screwdiver or some such item.

The only remaining concern would then be spacing the butts some the hammers are
spaced to the strings and with billings I have never had any trouble with that.

Happy new year and happy "traveling".
	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu