Sticking styrene flanges

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 10:44:51 -0600

Ron,

   I second your thoughts. I recently bought a set of the reamers and I
like the consistency of the results very much. I normally use pinning wire
when I have to repin/install a complete set of flanges, but I believe that
with these reamers one could do the job *almost* as quickly and with as
consistent a result. Thankfully, though, I haven't "gotten the point" yet.
:-)

Avery

>        A while back, I posted about Kawai sticking styrene flanges.  Few
>people really knew the answer since these flanges rarely stick.
>Fortunately, Don Mannino came to my rescue.  The correct repair is a set
>of *straight* reamers that Don designed, which are available from Schaff
>for about $12.00.
>        Dons method gets high reviews and scores from me.  The tools are
>inexpensive, give very predictable results and it's virtually impossible
>to over ream since the reamers are parallel instead of tapered and each is
>a different size.  Give these reamers a try.  You'll never go
>back.
>        About the only down side is that really sharp point on the
>end...Ya ya ya, I got the point alright...Right in my hand.  Boy it
>hurt.  I'm glad my kids were in bed because I said something that they
>would have been in trouble had they said it.  Too bad my wife was still
>up.  No sacrament for me this Sunday...Sackcloth and ashes for this kid.
>        Don, thanks for the wonderful tool.
>
>Ron Shiflet

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music